Learn Legal Terminology
Many different professions require a solid understanding of legal terminology.Valuable for anyone working in a law office, business, in politics, the public service, or in an accountancy firm. Often a course like this can be a first step toward a job in such a situation.
What the Course Covers
There are eight lessons as follows:
- The Scope and Nature of Legal Terminology
- The Legal Workplace – People and Processes
- Legal Systems – Australia, UK, International Law etc
- Contract and Business Law
- Property Law – Buying and Selling Property,
- Conveyancing, Intellectual Property
- Wills, Probate, Estate Law
- Criminal Law
- Other – Tort Law, Family Law, Civil Actions, Bankruptcy, Insurance, Accidents Compensation
The following books, available through this web site are relevant supplementary reading for this course
- English Grammar
- Technical Writing
There are three basic types of assessment. Assessments are more than just a way of giving you a final result though! For us; these assessments are opportunities to revisit things you have studied; interact with our academic staff, and look at things from another perspective. Psychologists know that true learning requires revisiting what you learn. Through these assessments, your learning is strengthened and in doing so, your ability to retain and apply your learning after study is strengthened.
By giving you different types of assessment tasks, the ways in which you encounter information is varied. The three types of assessments are:
1. Self-assessment tests (SAT): These are presented during each lesson and are essentially an on-line quiz. These provide immediate results, so you are able to identify areas that require further work.
2. Assignments: These are undertaken at the end of each lesson and are designed to consolidate the lesson aim and the content.
3. Optional Final Exam: Upon successful completion of all the lessons, you are able to choose to sit a final exam. This can be sat at your convenience. There is an additional cost for this option. Upon successful completion of the exam, you will receive a formal transcript as proof of your results.
How Long Will This Course Take Me?
This course is flexible, allowing you to study at times that suit you. It is designed so that most students will take about 100 hours to complete it. What that looks like, is totally up to you.
Recognition and Ethics
This college is a member of the ACS Affiliates Network. These are Colleges that are located in offices around the world and are affiliated with each other through ACS Distance Education. Courses are developed with input from all the staff at these colleges, reflect internationally accepted standards and needs.
A strict “No Plagiarism” policy exists. Assignments are checked for plagiarism, and if plagiarism is detected, work will not be deemed to have been completed and will be penalised.
What Is Different About This Institution?
We believe that we have an ethical responsibility to make good use of the fees you pay and the time you invest into an education through our college. To this end, our first priority is always your learning. This comes before issues such as formal accreditations, speculative marketing and bureaucratic processes which all too often add considerable costs to the running of colleges, and take resources away from the provision of more valuable services to the student.
This college focuses on facilitating your learning and support to optimise that learning. We recognise that learning is all about improving knowledge and skills in your long term memory. While some colleges may focus on getting you to pass exams, by committing knowledge to short term memory; we understand that such an approach is not true education, and does little to improve your long term career or business prospects.
What Could This Course Do For You?
This course was developed originally as training for anyone who might work as a legal secretary or in a support capacity in a legal office. It still serves that purpose; but has value well beyond that. It will give you an insight into the law, how legal systems can vary from place to place, and develop your ability to understand others who you need to communicate with in regard to legal issues. This is valuable for business, criminal, social or any other types of legal issues.
- Businessmen will be able to better understand legal documents
- Anyone dealing with crime, from law enforcement and security officers to social workers, can find this course very useful for their professional development
- Individuals will be better equipped